Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Pitcairn Estate - Bryn Athyn, Pa.

When I was a kid I heard all sorts of stories about this place, mostly that it was suppose to be haunted. Well as an adult I finally visited the estate. It is gorgeous!
First there is Bryn Athyn Cathedral. Built in 1919 in the Gothic Romanesque style of architecture, the Cathedral is wonderful. It could rival any of the European Cathedrals. We visited in February 2005 when there was still snow on the ground and it just added to the feel of the place. I was not suppose to take pictures inside the Cathedral, but I did, you can see some of them below.

We could not get inside the Glencairn Museum or the Cairnwood Mansion, but I took several photos of the buildings. The Museum was built between 1928 - 1939 in the Romanesque style and was the home of Raymond Pitcairn and his wife Mildred.

Cairnwood was built in 1895 and was the home of John Pitcairn and his wife, Gertrude. We recently did a wedding here and were finally able to get inside, but unfortunately I was not able to get any pictures.

No comments: