Monday, March 19, 2018

Evergreen Cemetery - Gettysburg, Pennsylvania

Evergreen Cemetery, formerly known as Citizen's Cemetery, played a strategic role during the Battle of Gettysburg. The historic cemetery is approximately 29 acres and was opened on November 7,

During the Battle, Major General Oliver Otis Howard lined the cemetery's high ground with cannons. He also used the gatehouse as Union Army Headquarters.

The platform used by President Abraham Lincoln to deliver his Gettysburg Address was located just east of the Gettysburg National Cemetery on the grounds of Evergreen Cemetery.

Various views within the cemetery

 Grave site of General James Gettys, founder of the town of Gettysburg

Close up of the Memorial carving on the obelisk

 Gettysburg Civil War Women's Memorial
Honoring all of the women who served in varying capacities before, during and after the 
Battle of Gettysburg.
 Close-up of the 7 foot tall statue of six-month pregnant Elizabeth Thorn who along with her elderly father buried 91 soldiers
 The statue was commissioned by Ron Tunison

Final Resting Place of Mary Virginia "Ginnie" Wade.
At the age of 20 years old, she was the only civilian killed during the Battle of Gettysburg when she was struck by a stray bullet.
 The house where she was killed has become a popular tourist attraction.
 Ginnie was killed in her sister's house when a Minie ball traveled through the kitchen and parlor doors and hit her. The Minie ball struck her in her shoulder blade and went through her heart. She died instantly.

 The monument was erected in 1900 by the Iowa Women's Relief Corps which replaced her original tombstone
 Her grave is the most visited one in the cemetery.
A flag flies over her grave 24 hours a day.